Each year, Children's provides care through nearly 13,000 inpatient visits and more than 200,000 emergency room and other outpatient visits. An independent, not-for-profit health care provider, Children's has 319 staffed hospital beds and services available in all major pediatric specialties: emergency care; newborn and pediatric intensive care; outpatient and inpatient surgery; diagnostic services, including radiology and laboratory; and special programs in the areas of respiratory, cardiology, cancer, premature birth, adolescent development, child abuse, and epilepsy.
This internship (June - August) will provide an introduction to clinical, research and/or organizational ethics for qualified individuals with a particular interest in pediatric clinical ethics. In addition, to provide opportunities for qualified candidates to work on department based projects, develop potential publication opportunities, and work on personal interest research.
Clinical Ethics Internship Requirements:
- Attend Ethics Case Consultations and Care Conferences
- Round with the Clinical Ethicists in the Intensive Care Units and with other clinical services.
- Attend educational sessions sponsored by the Office of Ethics.
- Attend all meetings of the Bioethics Committee and Subcommittees.
- Develop a personal research project for presentation at final Bioethics Committee meeting.
- Attend the IRB meetings with Clinical Ethicists to understand research ethics
- Participate in directed reading program developed with senior leadership in the Office of Ethics
- Light office administrative work as needed